We have a lovely partnership with Spinster Sisters, one of our favorite local eateries. Recently Chef Liza Hinman taught a cooking class at Avalow featuring this and other recipes. Check out the rest of the menu, location, hours, etc. at www.thespinstersisters.com.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 oz sausage (Spicy Italian), removed from casing and cooked
1 pound beet greens, stemmed and washed thoroughly, roughly
chopped (leave damp)
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° with a rack on the lower 1/3 of the oven.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and whisk rapidly for 1 minute. Add a pinch of salt and 2 Tbs milk, and whisk to incorporate. Set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a medium cast iron or non-stick pan, add the damp beet greens and allow to wilt gently. Add the garlic. Cook, stirring, until it is fragrant, 30 seconds to a minute, and stir in to the beet greens. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute, until greens are coated with oil and fragrant. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat slightly, and add the sausage. Stir to distribute evenly. Pour in the eggs and let cook untouched for 2 – 3 minutes. When the edges appear set, sprinkle over the cheese.
- Place the pan into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until the center of the eggs appear set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool and set up for 20-30 minutes. Place a platter over the top of the pan and flip out.
- Once well cooled, cut into circles, squares or small wedges. Optional: tie the frittata with a blanched chive for a beautiful presentation.