Chef Alec Graham is at it again with his healthier twist on lettuce wraps. This simple Spring recipe uses tons of seasonal ingredients, making it easy to adapt to all seasons. Swap mushrooms for chicken or steak for meat-lovers or keep it as is for a delicious vegan main dish.
Veggie Lettuce Wraps with Miso Chili Sauce and Spiced Peanuts
TIME: 20 minutes
-1 large carrot, julienned
-1 large cucumber, sliced
-1/2 red onion, julienned
-1 tbsp sesame seeds
-1 bunch scallions, chopped
-2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
LETTUCE WRAP INGREDIENTS:
-1 large head butter lettuce
-4 large portobello mushrooms, cleaned
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-2 tbsp ginger, minced
-1 tbsp sesame oil
-2 tbsp miso paste
-2 tbsp soy sauce
-1 tbsp chili flakes
-1 cup roasted, lightly salted peanuts
-1 tbsp Chinese 5 spice
-1 tsp ground ginger
-salt + pepper to taste
1. Toss mushrooms with garlic, minced ginger, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Cook mushrooms in an olive oiled pan on high heat (flipping once during the cooking process) or on a grill, if available. Slice into strips, top with some scallions, and set aside.
3. To create the salad portion combine carrots, cucumber, red onion, scallions, and sesame seeds in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with rice wine vinegar and about 1 tbsp of soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
4. To create the sauce, combine miso paste, dashes of rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and soy sauce, and chili flakes in a bowl.
5. Toss the peanuts in with 5 spice, ground ginger, and salt and pepper to taste.
6. To create the wraps, fill lettuce leaves with salad mixture, top with mushrooms and peanuts, and drizzle sauce over the top.